In this guide, I will walk you through the steps on how to create your blog and get started at a very affordable price.
Before starting a blog you should know or will have to decide on the niche you want to focus on. There are several Niches out there but it is better to write about something you are interested in or have passion about. Here is a list of niches you can choose from:
4. Fitness and Health
9. Inspiration and advice
After you must have decided on a niche you must also choose the blogging platform to use. There are several platforms like (Blogger, Tumblr, Joomla, etc)but WordPress is still the best.
Should you be an expert in the Niche you choose?
I don’t think you need to be an expert or have a degree in most cases when it comes to blogging. You just have to have an average knowledge of the topic you choose to blog about.
After choosing your niche you need the basic tools to start your blog and the choices you make would greatly determine the success of your blog. And that brings us to the question of how you start your blog.
How to Start a Blog in 5 steps.
pick a domain name
- The first thing you need is a domain name. If you are new to this I know you will probably be wondering what a domain name is. A domain name is the name of your business or a name that can tell a visitor what your website is all about. The domain should be well thought about. For instance ( facebook.com twitter, com, etc)
- Web Hosting
The Hosting of your website is where all your website files are stored i.e your pictures videos, posts, pages, etc.
- SSL Certificate:
This is a certificate that tells people if your site is secure for instance if you look beside the address bar you will see a green padlock which means my site is secure and any information you put in like your email or credit card number cannot be hijacked by hackers.
This is one of the most important parts of your blog. Your theme is what your website looks like to your visitors and it is important to choose a theme that fits your website. e.g If you are thinking of creating an e-commerce website you should an e-commerce theme.
5. Promote your blog:
After setting up your blog you would like people who are interested in what you want to blog about to see your posts. You can do this by posting links of a post on social media or using google or facebook ads.
- It’s very easy to use.
- You’ll get a free domain name.
- Loads faster.
- Pre-installed WordPress.
- Free SSL certificate.
- Well established hosting company.
- Officially recommended by wordpress.org
- Gives your blog a professional look.
- Free technical support.
- 99.9% uptime.
Now the first two steps to set up your very own website is firstly to get web hosting and then to register your domain name
2. You will be redirected to the page below where you will be required to choose the type of plan you prefer. I recommend the Basic plan but you can choose any plan of your choice.
3. After you select a plan you will have to choose a domain name or use your already existing domain. Then click next.
4. The next step requires you to fill in your details such as Name, Country etc
5. The next step requires you to decide on your package plan. You can choose between 12, 36 or 60 months.
The only thing you really need is the Domain privacy protection which protects the information you used in creating your website from other people and you may also need Site Backup Pro to back up your site in case anything goes wrong.
6. Then once you are ready all you need to do is type in your payment information. Agree to the terms and conditions and click submit.
7. Your purchase was successful and a confirmation email has been sent to your email address. Before you can login you have to Create a Password.
8. You can now pick a theme or skip this step and do it later.
9. Click start building.
10. So here we are now in the back end of our brand new website
Watch a step by step guide video on how to set up your website below.